Sunday, February 26, 2017

Fickle Mother Nature

False spring is an awful prank that Mother Nature likes pull every so often.

The prairies are notorious for having spring blizzards well into May, but here in the Southern Interior, we're spoiled. February is usually when winter's back is broken, and March is gardening season.

Even the robins agree with that scheme. I saw a whole herd of them in town yesterday.

To those who insist that a group of robins is a 'flock', I say that you haven't seen a really large gang of them in operation while migrating. 'Herd' is definitely the most apt description.

Whatever. Both the birds and I and probably everyone else for a few hundred kms around are cranky with the scene this morning.

If I want snow, I'll go up to the ski resorts. As for this, bah humbug.


1 comment:

  1. Your Robins are so different to ours. I couldn't imagine European Robins ever gathering in flocks (herds).

    ReplyDelete