Saturday, March 8, 2014

Mutually compatible

It's that most wonderful time of the year.

No, not Christmas.

Tax time.

I actually don't prepare our tax return. For the last 30 years, we've had the same guardian angel up in northern Alberta who has checked over my bookkeeping and then filed the dreaded papers for us.

And for 20 of those 30 years, I've done said bookkeeping with a computer program.

No more. When the aged PC died and I replaced it with a Mac (yah!), I didn't replace the also aged accounting program. The Husband is semi-retired, and we sold the farm along with all the cattle, sheep and goats a long time ago. It just wasn't feasible to break into the penny bank for a new program (and they are dear!)

So … back to the 28 col. ledger book for me.


 And back to the old tools of the trade.


And yes, these also qualify as 'tools' on some occasions. (I really hope Yvonne the Accountant reads this entry, but honesty in all things.)


It's been a long winter, and very hard on the wine supply. Especially, for some odd reason, the whites.

I prefer white for summer patio and 'round the fire drinking, especially something with a nice, tart green apple bite to it.  Big reds are for winter, or normally are. Whatever - we've been on a white kick this go-round.

BC VQA opened a store in Kamloops last spring, and how we missed that I cannot say. Never mind, we know now and are very happy as it saves us running all up and down the valley to source our favorites and sniff out new ones.

Here's a long-time favorite that I've mentioned before.


Another favorite with a spanky new label, from Gray Monk.


More than once we've bought a wine simply because the label was irresistable. Guess that's the graphic designer coming out in me, or just the featherbrain. Whatever, it's as good a system as any, and Rigamarole Wines has taken the art of the whimsey and the label to a new level.


I applaud imagination and artistry.


Although I must confess, I've never seen a hedgehog quite as cute as this one. In fact, I once saw an albino hedgehog on a roadside in New Zealand that was distinctly homely.

But I digress.

Again.

Check out Rigamarole's website. They're fun.

3 comments:

  1. You're right, that label is priceless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We buy ours 'loose'. We take along our 5 litre containers, and they just fill-em-up. €1.10 per litre, and no fancy labels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I officially hate you :)
      I've heard wine prices are good over there. Not so many taxes perhaps?
      Still, the labels are pretty cool for that particular vineyard.

      Delete