Sunday, February 2, 2014

Diversified, Eclectic or Schizophrenic?

___________________
di·ver·si·fy
diˈvərsiˌfī,dī-
verb
past tense: diversified; past participle: diversified
1.
make or become more diverse or varied.
"the trilobites diversified into a great number of species"
 _______________________________
Yesterday I sang a song about the glories of motorcycles ... or perhaps not the machines but what they are to me, which is excitement and thrill and one of the only ways I'll be a daredevil (because I'm terrified of jumping out of a plane or off a cliff, and I can't swim).
Last night The Husband and I watched episodes of 'Justified' on DVD while I worked on the current baby quilt that I'm hand-quilting.

I suppose know that sport bike riding and hand-quilting are not incompatible activities. Sometimes it seems odd, though.

_______________________________
ec·lec·tic
iˈklektik
 
adjective: eclectic; adjective: Eclectic
1.
 deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.
   "her musical tastes are eclectic"
   synonyms: wide-ranging, broad-based, extensive, comprehensive, encyclopedic
noun: eclectic; plural noun: eclectics
 1. a person who derives ideas, style or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources
_______________________________
This morning, I am (was and will continue to, once I've had my coffee break) working on a book manuscript for a friend. It's the memoirs/musings of an elderly man, a Swiss immigrant who's been in Canada for many years and wants to leave a legacy for his family and friends. This is the type of book I commonly produce for clients.

The old gentleman is a born-again Christian and that credo pretty much defines the book. The Husband laughed at me as he went out the door this morning (he has an interesting project of his own, helping a friend rebuild a 1936 Hart-Parr tractor). I was once again thumbing through one of my much-worn bibles, looking for an unreferenced scripture passage. I was a Sunday School teacher for many years up north (our mom was one, too) but I'm really out of practice. 

"There's something rather contradictory about swearing under your breath while you're digging through a bible." was his observation.
Indeed.
Thankfully I have access to on-line concordances or it would get much uglier.

_______________________________
schizo·phren·tia
ˌskit-sə-ˈfrē-nē-ə
_______________________________

I know I'm not schizophrenic or have disassociated personalities because I have a few dear friends who have one or the other. Truly. And there comes a point when there is some humour in it; as the bumper sticker says, 'I used to be schizophrenic but we're all right now.' So when I'm off on one of my tangents, they tell me not to be schizo - I can't get it right.

I was watching a TEDx Talk a few weeks ago, a speech delivered by Lizzie Velasquez. She asks the question, "How do you define yourself?" And I'm not sure. Kinda hard to nail down.

A homebody who likes to travel.
A thrill seeker who's afraid of heights.
A wool spinner (ancient craft) who makes a living working on a computer (space-age craft).
A Christian who loves speculative fiction.
A strong proponent of Plain English who has a propensity for speaking/writing in parentheses.
A person with German heritage who hates caraway (OK, that's a stretch, but I really, really, REALLY hate caraway).


1 comment: