Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Day, New Month, New Year

 Why is it I'm more excited about the start of the school year than I am about the start of a new calendar year?

Even though I'm long past my grade school days, as are my children, there's still an excitement in the air, a hopefulness, that arrives on September 1st.

Perhaps things would be more exciting for January 1st if it came with more cheerful weather. Or less on the emotional hangover after too much ... well, too much everything that the holiday season brings even if one doesn't buy into the whole consumer aspect of Christmas. I noted at work yesterday that my co-workers were looking distinctly tired. The heavy workload of previous weeks plus whatever seasonal activities each has been up to have finally caught up with us.

Or maybe I'm just preoccupied with this year's Boxing Day jigsaw puzzle, which is threatening to become this year's Easter puzzle.

This is my progress so far:


You can see that I do have the borders built, made good progress on the bottom and a fair start on the top.



This is what is supposed to look like, and I must have taken leave of my senses if I thought it was in the medium-difficulty range.

Nature's Colours indeed.

This is nature's colour today:



There is a mountain behind that cloud somewhere.

I think I'm going to have to pour some 'cheer' in my hot chocolate today.

2 comments:

  1. I'm working on a puzzle, too. It's nearly done but the sky is....boring...and may not get completed!
    Happy New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain here again this morning. Luckily it tends to stop before it's light enough to take the dogs out for the first walk of the day (in about 2 hrs time). Happy new year, Cro x

    ReplyDelete