Saturday, December 15, 2012

Here and There

Almost Christmas.

Wow.

Gifts have made their way north, west and overseas so my bases are covered.

Bryan tells me the replacement door for the basement walkout (a garden door that opens full width - be still my heart!) is my Christmas gift, and I'm OK with that.

Wonder what I can 'break' next year for Christmas?

I've been sewing - can't tell you what as it involved gifts. Had to do 'open heart surgery' on my ancient Viking sewing machine and almost have it back to its perfect working condition. Need to bring in local expert Patty to help with a bobbin pick-up issue.

Bryan's making great gains in the basement - framing all done in the areas he can work in (I have to move the spare bed, many bookshelves and an entire sewing/weaving room to enable him to work in the rest of the area), wiring mostly done, insulation in progress and even some walls finished with tongue-and-groove pine.

It's our social life - or what passes as - that's cramped by blog style. So let me tell you a bit about where we've been, what we've done and who we saw.

A few weeks ago, we spent a Saturday night at the venerable Vernon Jazz Club.

Vernon Jazz Club, upstairs. Great joint!
 And we were WONDERFULLY entertained by The Dharma Dolls.

The Dharma Dolls. Tanya Lipscomb, Melina Moore and Judy Rose.
In their non-trio lives, they are all solo performers in very different genres. Tanya is a blues-jazz-Latin-funk-folk performer who vibrates with energy. Melina is a coloratura soprano, with an international career. And Judy Rose is a jazz-blues singer who makes my heart sing.

Visit their websites and you'll see why we love them.

Tanya  Melina and Judy

Last Sunday was kind of a blah day. It was snowy, grey, overcast. I was writing Christmas cards and learned something about myself: I hate writing Christmas cards. I love keeping in touch with people (obviously) but writing those cards makes me cry because so many go to people I haven't seen in person for a long time and maybe never will again - time and distance and age and all those factors that make people precious and break my heart just a little bit.

Bryan picked up on my melancholy mood and proposed a night out.

We had supper at Boa Thong, a local favorite Thai place.

Boa Thong Thai Restaurant, upstairs. Odd how some of the best places are 'upstairs'

And a movie - Bond, always Bond. I adore Daniel Craig as James Bond.


The Falkland Fire Department Christmas party was at the Falkland Pub last Saturday night. Bryan is on the  fire department committee - although I've been to more of the meetings than he has!

Falkland Pub dressed for Christmas.
The black marks on the floor are motorcycle burn-out marks.
Yes, real ones. We were there.

The pub is a major social centre in our little burg. 2012 is its 75 birthday. Jeff and Julie are the owners, hosts and friends to much of the community. Come on by, we'll buy you a beer!

The local moose lick - The Falkland Pub
And now if you don't mind, I'm going to do some window-shopping at amazon.ca. I feel a book or two calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment