Sunday, April 17, 2011

Bruise of Honour



I have a lovely deep purple bruise beginning its transformation to a less-than-lovely yellowish colour in the crook of my left arm.

The bruise is a badge of honour because it was incurred while giving a blood donation on Friday.



The donor clinic is coming to Vernon more frequently now and during hours when I can attend, and so I recommenced an activity that I'd been unable to take part in for many years now.

After the long screening process now required since HIV/AIDS and Chagas came into the picture, I finally got to the chair. The RN was swabbing my arm and for some stupid reason, I blurted out, "You know, I don't know why I'm here. I hate needles." Because, you know, they use huge honkin' needles (4 gauge or something damned close) so as not to damage the red blood cells.



She gave me a long look, smiled and said, "I hate needles, too" then proceeded to give a very nice needle, as huge honkin' gauge needles go. And I was an exemplary donor because I filled my quota in 9 minutes. Yea for me.



The rain outside this morning is looking suspiciously like snow. It's melting upon contact with the ground, so I'm thinking it's just snow with bad attitude. Spring, grow a set and fight back!

No comments:

Post a Comment