Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Delight for the Senses

There's a new shop in Revelstoke that I've fallen in love with. It's called Crescendo, and the photo below should give you an idea about its appeal.


Daniel and Elvira are the proprietors. The link below is to an article published in the Revelstoke newspaper upon their opening. It tells everything about the store, the products and the people.

www.bclocalnews.com/kootenay_rockies/revelstoketimesreview/business/64862047.html


I mention it here because I was just there on Saturday. I already have a set of oils, a Christmas gift from Bryan's mom: chili oil, lemon oil and pumpkin seed oil. The pumpkin oil is pure oil, the other two infused olive oils. The pumpkin oil especially is lovely on vegetables and salad.


You just don't walk into Crescendo and look around. Daniel takes you on a tasting tour, and it becomes almost an intimate conversation. I didn't much look at the spices, salts and peppers - there are enough of them and fresh in our pantry. I did, however, fall in love with porcini oil. I also had a hard time deciding between several balsamic vinegars, settling on pomegranate balsam. (this time!)


Sunday night, I made risotto with green onions and cashews, then added a generous sploosh of the porcini oil just before serving. Mmmmm........


I also tried the pomegranate and porcini together as a dipping combo and was very pleased with it.


No doubt about it - when the weather is grey and damp, good food is a tremendous comfort.


I have the backside to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment