Saturday, August 8, 2009

Dream Themes, or Why I've Accomplished SO Little This Morning

Dream Themes:
Forgetting To Care For The Baby

This classic dream usually comes to people who lead productive, responsible lives. It is all the more upsetting or distressing for precisely that reason. In most instances the neglected baby is the Jungian archetype of the divine child. The infant represents aspects of the dreamer's self that are neglected or ill-defined. It might seem funny to write in our waking-life appointment book "reserve time for self-exploration," but, in order to be healthy and whole, that is exactly what we have to do. (Even if it looks like the height of laziness or irresponsibility from the point of view of the waking ego, which is driven to make the most of every precious moment.) This dream informs you that ignoring one's deepest spiritual needs and desires is the truly irresponsible activity--as irresponsible as agreeing to look after a baby, and then forgetting about it. © Jeremy Taylor, 1996


So, I woke up this morning with a vivid dream in my head.

In the dream, I was caring for a baby; apparently it was mine but I can't tell you if it was male or female or even what its name was (I assure you I'm a normally a much better mother than that). I was outside, the baby was laying and rolling around on some white gravel (what was I thinking?!).

Pan forward and I'm washing the baby but when I look down, there's nothing but a wet washcloth on my arm. Where did that pesky baby go to? I looked all through the house where I was, in every room, under every object - no baby.

And I'm not panicked the way I would be in waking life (supposing I would casually misplace my baby in the first place) but mildly puzzled at the apparent misplacement. Which is the point at which I awoke.

What would you do in this situation? If you were me, and it was early in the morning all by your one-ness and the valley was filled (again and thicker) with smoke, you'd of course get a pot of coffee perking on the stove in the trusty ol' aluminum pot (Alzheimers forsooth) and fire up the computer to do a Google search on dream interpretation.

Voila. Instant knowledge.


Why yes, that is my fluffy soft brown housecoat and pre-caffeinated look.


And then I proceeded to spend far too much time on-line, following arcane trails (sorta the updated version of getting lost in a dictionary or encyclopedia - what, that never happened to you?) and working my way through the entire pot of coffee (it's now healthy for you, I read that.... somewhere....really).

NOW, now I am working, or will be in a minute. The notes I took Thursday night are within reach of my left hand. I've showered and dressed (already - I know, I'm surprised too), got the week's laundry running through the machine (although I may opt to use the dryer rather than hang them outside in this smoke - I love modern appliances!), am thinking about breakfast....or brunch....lunch?, resisting the temptation to grind more beans for another pot o' joe, listening to "Go" on CBC radio,

in short, doin' what I seem to do best: procrastinating.

3 comments:

  1. Dreams can stick like treacle to the corners of your mind and really mess it up. Hope you 'find the baby'.

    Cheers,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. so what did your interpretation tell you about the misplaced baby?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babies can be your 'creative child/ children" too.

    Are you perhaps feeling a bit lost there?

    Nice to see I'm not alone with my morning routine...

    :) Susan

    ReplyDelete